24 June 2014

10 Years Ago, Something Wonderful Happened

24 June 2010, a Thursday.  It was quite a big day for me, a series of firsts I was extremely nervous about---my first day on my first job---and the other first that only God knew about. 

The things I knew. At 8:30 AM in the busy corner of Ayala Avenue, I found myself grimacing in pain and sweating like crazy from walking too fast than I could. My toes were killing me but I could never be late on my first day of work. I'd run a mile in my 3-inch heels, have all the blisters in the world and swerve past hundreds of workers all rushing to get to their office if I had to. Luckily, I managed to get inside one of the skyscrapers in Makati CBD just in time and in one piece. I immediately took the lift to the 28th floor already dreading the crowd of topnotch CPAs in the training room. God, I hated introducing myself in front of a crowd. I hated public speaking. I hated trainings.

My first day on my first job basically passed by with me sitting down and staring down at my notes almost all the time. I was taken aback and everything and everyone in the room intimidated me especially the air of competitiveness that hovered in the room all day long. This was an unfamiliar ground, I didn't personally know anyone. There was no one from my former school whom I could sat
and chat with. There was only me and all these brain heads I wasn't ready to be friends with yet. I guessed, I wasn't ready for the real working world but I knew I had to be brave. I reminded myself I worked so hard to get the license that this firm hired me for. I knew right then and there that this new chapter of my life wouldn't be easy. But I also knew, I asked for it.

These were the things that God knew. That I would call this skyscraper a work office for the next five precious years of my life. That I would be friends with those newbies, some of them I have kept in touch with to this very day.

That in that room of wide-eyed newbies, on that very same day, in that very same building, in the very same group that I would be joining in, was another soul whom God destined to be His best for me.


No comments :