09 February 2011

Goodbye for Now

I knew this day is inevitable. From day one of my holiday in Singapore, I knew this is going to happen. It's just that we enjoyed our time together, I almost forgot about this day.


At Singapore airport | 8th of February 2011:

I look closely at your boarding pass; it says you're in the 11:59 PM flight bound to Frankfurt. I look at mine; it says I'm in the 12:15 AM flight bound to Manila. We're about to take flights completely going two opposite ways, only minutes but one-calendar day apart.

This is it. Our long distance relationship will soon get longer, farther, harder. From Singapore to Ireland. We'll be in for a time difference now and who knows what other challenges are in store for us. 

"Okay. Can you pray for us now?" I nudge him, realising we should better get on. "Yes," he softly answers. So we pray together in Changi Airport, holding hands, soon to be parted by mere minutes. As we step on the walkalator to my gate, he looks in my eyes and says "Lai, kaya natin to." I can only sniff and sigh trying to hold back tears already welling up my eyes. Yes, I know we can do this, but how? I am trying to be brave with all the strength I can muster in the remaining minutes that we are together, in the remaining time that I can still physically feel him by my side. 

"You have to go now," I say as we reach my gate. We embrace then finally say our last goodbye for this leg, for the Singapore chapter of our lives.

I content myself from watching him walk away. Dear God, please enable us to do this. There are dreams to be chased. There are things to be sacrified for now.  :(

No comments :