05 May 2014

Weekend Walks and Love for the Great Outdoors

Back in the Philippines, my usual itinerary on weekends would be home-church-mall. In Ireland it's entirely a different story. I have fallen in love with the great outdoors of this country and I'd rather go for a walk or a hike than to window-shop or sulk at home with a computer all day long. Don't get me wrong, I still love shopping (*wink) and I love being home too. But the call to explore outside is as great as my insatiable desire to snap photos of the things and places I find beautiful.  Despite the bipolar weather inherent of Ireland, most scenic spots are worth going out for---rain or shine, cold or warm. Summer is just lurking around the corner and with the promise of a warmer weather, it's  definitely the best season to explore.

With my love for photography and nature, I think God willed for me to experience living in a country as picturesque as Ireland (most especially when the sun illuminates it). To top it all, I get to enjoy the the whole experience with the love of my life and friends---old and new. I consider this a blessing. Not everyone is given this chance. When my eyes feast on the beauty outside, I can't help but be grateful.

It's already the month of May and we kicked off its first weekend which was also a bank holiday weekend walking around the Howth Cliffs. It's my second time in these cliffs but I am just as impressed as the first time we trailed on it in 2013.  We didn't get to finish the longest trail the first attempt so we hoped for a home run this time around. There were heavy clouds that hovered the whole Dublin City last Saturday preventing the sun to say hello even for a while.  Nonetheless, the smell of sea salt was a good therapy for my lungs, the walk a perfect exercise for my legs, the view just as stunning. After 10 kms, 4 hours, lost moments midway through and lots of photos in between, four of us (out of eight) managed to complete the longest trail. 

Our own version of stopping-and-smelling-the-roses, only it's lying on the flowers:


Just some photos from the iPhone to recap the day---wildflowers of sorts were abundant in the cliffs, a surprise turn led us to the middle of a golf course, braving the cliff edges for photo ops, a triumphant "yes" as we approached the finish line and a Japanese meal at home to soothe our tired bodies. 


And lastly, a jumpshot near the Bailey Lighthouse from the SLR.


Full album here.

No comments :