18 October 2010

The First Date

Note: This post was back-dated to October 18th and was posted when R already told me his intention to court me. In hindsight, I now realised why I was so nervous and excited all at the same time that first date. This much I know: It was the beginning of an answered prayer. 


So here we go, this is how our first date took place (written in present tense):

***

“Hi,” I say as I sit beside him in Powerbooks, Glorietta Mall folding my umbrella and not looking him in the eye. It has been more than a year. But why do I feel nervous, I have no idea. We were friends. We still are. 

“Hi! Thanks for braving the storm,” he says as he stands up and puts the magazine back in one of Powerbooks' shelves nearby. 

Oh bakit hindi mo binili yun, ikaw talaga kuripot ka pa rin!” I tease him.

“Ha-ha-ha! Saan mo gusto?” he smiles as he leads me out of Powerbooks.

“Uhmm... ikaw, kahit saan, treat mo naman to diba?” I ask as we walk out of Glorietta. Geez, why am I so nervous? Chill, relax. It’s just him.

“Sa Shang tayo!” he says matter-of-factly, as if he has already made up his mind. Shangri-la??? Seriously. Di nya nga ako ma-treat non sa McDo! He's got to be kidding!

“Sure ka? Nakatsinelas lang ako” I say, unbelieving and looking down at my humble feet in my zebra-print slippers.

"Oo naman, don tayo. Okay lang yan!" he, too, is looking down at my feet. God, I'm thankful I had a pedicure, at least.

Then we laugh about something while walking towards Shangrila and I pat (oh well spank) him on his arm.

“Awww... ang bigat ng kamay mo ha!”

“Di mo ba ko namiss?” I say jokingly.

“Oo, namiss nga kita eh,.... namiss kita.”

Okay, this is not happening. It’s crystal clear we are just friends; we have been for six years now. BUT:
  • Why Shangri-la?
  • Why was I the first one he called when he arrived in the Philippines?
  • Why are we two alone now?
  • Why make me feel special by bringing me here?
  • Is this a date?

No comments :