23 December 2016

Christmas Lights and our Fifth Christmas in Dublin

30 DAYS OF GRATITUDE | DAY 23


My little charming city may not be as magically and extensively adorned with Christmas lights as its other neighbouring capitals in Europe but to my Filipina-living-in-Ireland eyes, Dublin is spectacular in its own glory during the Christmas season. 

Winter in Ireland can give you the coldest, dreariest and darkest of days. The sun sets as early as 4PM during this season; the trees are stripped down to their branches and the sky is pretty much always grey. I'm grateful the city is illuminated and decorated quite nicely creating a festive mood and bringing a cheerful vibe to the dwellers and tourists alike. The lights extravaganza is one of the things which makes me want to pause and say, "Hey, it's not too bad that I live here!"

Here are the photos of these flickering and twinkling Christmas lights, (photo captured through the iPhone and DSLR).


Nollaig Shona Duit, a Gaelic expression for "Happy Christmas to you."


Zeya was wide eye and curious with all the lights.


***

This year's Christmas is our fifth in Ireland, our fifth away from Philippines, our fifth away from families and friends. This means, I've been relishing this show of lights in Dublin for five years now. Sure, I miss every little thing about Paskong Pinoy (Filipino Christmas) and I won't name them one by one lest I'll get homesick. And I will agree with the rest of OFWs' sentiments around the world, that there's nothing quite comparable to Paskong Pinoy, but it's also making the most of where God has brought us and planted us. It's trying to appreciate what lies before us. 

Five years now. I can't say I've gotten used to the quietness and stillness of Christmas in Dublin. But I've grown to appreciate the family exclusivity of Christmas day to the Irish. That Christmas day isn't a "shopping mall day."  That there could be another day for that.

I'm grateful for you Dublin, Ireland. For these lights. For your generosity. And most of all, for treating us well the past five Christmases. :)

No comments :